Better Call Saul is coming up on its last season which makes you wonder what’s next for Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan...
I was going to write something about how I thought the end of Better Call Saul should go but honestly they really did do a terrific job of it so I can’t complain. Everything that’s been done in the Breaking Bad universe has for the most part been well crafted story and that’s why those properties are so popular.
My ending likely wouldn’t have had Saul go back to his old ways. It was a little disappointing to be sure but the nice thing about the series was the way that it dovetailed. When I say dovetailed was that while there are detestable qualities about Saul, one of the things we come back to in the series time and time again is that he’s not entirely irredeemable.
More often than not it’s people’s conclusions about him and that as a person…
So, here I was going to talk about the character study that both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were. Make no mistake, each series was nothing more than a detailed character study of each of the leads. Vince Gilligan said as much when he described Breaking Bad as Mr Chips to Scarface to detail the transformation that Walter White went through from the beginning of the series to the series conclusion.
It’s great writing really. The kind of writing I’d like to be doing if I could.
I don’t spend enough of my time writing. I’m lazy that way. It’s to my own detriment and as I run out the clock on my life it bothers me on one level I won’t leave a mark on the planet other than this stupid blog.
Vince Gilligan was a favorite of mine from the X-Files so when Breaking Bad hit since I was already a fan of Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan was the show runner I was all in.
Better Call Saul is interesting because it acts like a sandwich to Breaking Bad… we see things that happened before Saul Goodman met Walter White and we see what happened afterward. At times, it’s quietly terrifying. There are things that happen that are just so vivid and real.
I’ve danced around darkness over the course of my days which has seen me in some very odd places. I’m familiar with the kind of sudden random violence that happened in BCS. Any ‘citizen’ does walk away shocked because you think the veneer of civilization matters when the truth of it is that it really doesn’t.
I’d love to see more of Jimmy McGill, they did the fans a service in the final episodes because they showed at the end of everything the character took on the weight of everything to make sure the woman he loved didn’t wind up exposed at all. There is something very romantic in that to be sure.
Beyond that though the dynamic between Rhea Seehorn and Bob Odenkirk was really special. Does Saul get out of jail? Does he get out before he serves 86 years? I think so and I think Kim works on getting him out. At least that’s what I want to think.
Now, the bigger question is when is Vince Gilligan going to give everyone that series featuring Jesse Pinkman’s life in Alaska.
No comments:
Post a Comment